top of page
Technical Assistance

NCCD provides technical assistance regarding water and drainage concerns through short site visits and verbal recommendations. These services are offered free of charge to landowners in New Castle County.  Please review the below information before contacting our office. Please call Liz Hook at (302)-365-8970 or use the "Contact Us" form and include a detailed description of the problem.  

Things to consider BEFORE reporting a drainage concern:

  • Make sure all downspout are connected properly and extended away from the foundation of the home. 

    • Please follow New Castle County Code regarding downspout discharge and property lines to prevent water from being directed toward your or your neighbor's foundation. 

  • Check water lines inside and outside of your home for possible water leaks. 

    • An increase in your water bill and increase in water usage are possible signs of a water leak.  If you suspect a water leak, please contact your water provider.

  • During heavier rains events it may take 24-48 hours for water to dissipate

  • Keep swales manicured and clear of debris to ensure proper function. 

    • What is a swale? A swale is a shallow channel with gently sloping sides, which can either be man-made or natural, designed to manage water runoff.


Frequently Asked Questions:

  1. I have standing water in my yard for days after a rain event.  What can I do to get rid of the water?

    • The New Castle Conservation District can offer a free inspection of your property along with recommendations to alleviate the water issue on your property. Please call our main office at (302)-365-8970 

  2. My neighbor is discharging water onto my property.  Can the Conservation District inspect my neighbor’s yard? 

    • No, the District has to have permission from the property owner to inspect the property.

  3. My swale is not working properly, what do I do?.  

    • Maintenance of a swale will help to keep it functioning properly.  Keep the grass cut and free of weeds, litter and debris.  Do not place fences, sheds or other structures on or near a swale. 

  4. My yard has always been dry, but now I have an area that is always wet.  Why is this happening?

    • There are many possible reasons for this.  Underground springs could be one reason for a wet area in your yard.  As water tables change due to rain fall and other factors, underground springs can “pop-up” causing an area that continually stays wet.

  5. What is an underground spring?

    • A spring is a naturally occurring spot in the ground where underground water discharges to the surface.  Underground water can encounter rocks, shale or any item which it cannot penetrate, re-directing water to the path of least resistance. 

bottom of page